Three years ago, a group of dedicated leaders from The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center and Bon Secours Mercy Health joined together to form Healthy State Alliance (HSA) and began working on the ambitious goal of aligning two organizations with a common vision to transform the health of our communities.
The teams rose to the challenge to identify areas of focus and ways in which they could leverage the strengths of a large community health system and a large academic medical center. “The Healthy State Alliance team shares the belief and sustained commitment that by working together, we can truly change outcomes for the better for the citizens of Ohio and beyond.
The power of very diverse people to work together against a common goal that is much bigger than either organization or any individual makes me proud,” commented Jennifer Dauer, chief strategy and transformation officer, The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center
Since it’s inception, Healthy State Alliance has achieved great success including:
- Increasing access to expert cancer care for the communities in Lima, Lorain and Springfield, Ohio.
- Expanding access to state-of-the art transplant care in Cincinnati and Lima, Ohio.
- Tackling critical health issues such as COVID-19 through the development of COVID-19 for the Long Haul clinical guidelines and CME event with over 1100 registrants.
- Sharing best practices to combat the opioid epidemic including establishing a perinatal medication for opioid use disorder (MOUD) clinic in Toledo, Ohio as well as increasing MOUD participation to patients throughout Ohio.
- Implementing the enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS) playbook to reduce narcotic pain medicine after surgery throughout Mercy Health hospitals.
- Collaborating on research and education including increasing access to clinical trials, hosting five successful CME/CE events and introducing OSU MedNet21 to 34 Bon Secours Mercy Health hospitals.
- Expanding research collaboration including access to hundreds of clinical trials.
- Coming together to innovate faster, including via virtual health.
“The dedicated leadership and focus has allowed us to work together for the past three years. We have goodwill amongst ourselves and are aligned on addressing the healthcare needs of Ohioans and beyond”, shared Jeff Copeland, chief development officer, Bon Secours Mercy Health.